Custom Search

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Traveling ...



Yesterday, we went to Carson Springs. On the way, we went to Knoxville. There are some very special things about Knoxville that we like, the most of which is a very accessible Super Target.

Reed loves Target too, and has now decided that it is more fun to push the cart than to ride in it.

We have realized that we are going to have to think more carefully about Reed's outfits for Target days. People kept coming up to him to ask where things were. I guess he shouldn't have been wearing a red shirt.



I've heard that it is best to let your children start signaling a desire to begin potty training. Should we take this as a sign? (He's picking up a pack of undies.)



When we got to Carson, there was no one working in the hotel lodge, so we had to wait to check in. We decided to walk the nature trail. Once again, our wonderful camera, left us completely glowing.



Reed was so happy to be out of his carseat.



The trip to Carson was fairly uneventful. Reed was not fussy and he slept pretty well.



Unfortunately, last night, Reed decided that since he wasn't in his bedroom, he was not going to be happy going to bed at his normal hour.



He also decided that even though he was in his PJs and had already partaken of his bottle, the next hour wasn't good either.



Or ... the next.



Finally, at 11:20, Abbey was able to get him to go to sleep. I had a really late faculty meeting, so I wasn't in the room.



Our accommodations were really nice, especially if you have ever experienced sleeping at one of Southern Baptist camps. The only drawback were the full-size beds in the room.

It's been a long time since Abbey and I had to trade in the King size for a full. That and, I'm not as small as I used to be.



I told Abbey that if (when) Reed woke up, I would switch to the other bed and let him sleep with me.



I think we spent the next couple of hours praying for Reed to wake up! At one point, Abbey said, "You are pushing me off the bed." I rolled over on my back and my arms fell off the bed!

Thankfully, Reed woke up and Abbey was also rescued from what has become a locomotive that runs through my nasal cavity each night. We are definitely a trio of interesting sleeping noises.



I work up and put Reed in the other bed with me and before I could get back to sleep, both Abbey and Reed were making interesting nasal noises of their own. (To be read: Both Abbey and Reed were snoring, but I didn't think it would be nice to post that Abbey was snoring.)

I don't think either of them can match my snoring. I work up at one point with the driest mouth and sorest nose and throat. I bet I was really loud!



I had to wake up early in order to have breakfast and help greet the kiddos in chapel by 8:00 AM. Abbey and Reed slept in.



And then slept in some more.



They finally awoke at 9:00 AM. I was so glad that Abbey was able to get a little extra sleep after having so much trouble last night!

She described it as "Reed's cuteness quickly fading!"



The trip home was trying at best. Reed was not looking forward to 3.5 hours in the carseat. Thankfully, there is a McAllister's Deli on the way home, so we were able to get some sweet tea to help us through the tears!



Upon arriving in Nashvegas, we went to pick up the van at my work and Uncle Bill met us for supper.



After supper, we came home and let Reed play for a while. When it was time to go to bed, Reed took his bottle and seemed to settle down. Shortly thereafter, we heard wailing. I went into his room, turned on his light (because he now CATAPULTS his stopper), looked him directly in the eye and said, "I am not going to put up with this tonight Reed! You are going to have to go to sleep!"

After a little rocking, I'm happy to report he is sleeping soundly!

6 comments:

Carol said...

Okay, that's a little bit TMI about your sleeping habits : ) Glad you had a good time and got back safely.

Maria said...

So, I know I should have some cute Reed comment and some comment on the snoring, but what I really what to say is, Isn't that Target in Knoxville FABULOUS??? I could spend DAYS in there. I love going anywhere through Knoxville for a stop there!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear other families SNORE through the night!

Looks like it was really gorgeous there! Your photos with the backdrop of the trees were really nice!

(Good luck on the potty training! I like your idea of teaching the child a non-verbal sign to use.)

Tish said...

"Reed's cuteness quickly fading"...that was hilarious! If only these boys would sleep correctly...it's really easy, I could show them how. Loved the one year tribute! Matthew and Reed have the same Old Navy clothes!

Anonymous said...

Hey Kids,
Long time, no post; but just had to leave a message to let you know that we love you all so much. Abbey looks absolutely radiant in the pictures and the picture of Jeff and Reed holding one finger up is precious. We love you all, Enna and Tra.

Anonymous said...

Reed is cute, as usual. I love Abbey's comment on cuteness fading! So true!