Custom Search

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

One Year


one year has passed since that wonderful day,
when you changed our lives in an amazing way.

for years we struggled through pain and strife,
but that all changed when you entered our life.

your smile made us feel immediately warm,
your face quietly calmed our fertility storm.



a long way we traveled to get to you,
our patience was tested, but faith got us through.

for six months pictures were all we could hold,
but each one we received felt like pieces of gold.

your heart is tender and oh so sweet,
We'll never forget the day we did meet.

your laugh makes each day bright and grand,
i cherish each moment i can hold your sweet hand.


I'll never forget that day. I had just been in my friend Debbie's office and work where she had asked me for an update about our adoption process. I was a little down and told her we had still not heard anything, but we anxiously were waiting for our referral. The ring in my phone seemed especially loud as I approached my office. I picked up my phone, only to her an energetic voice saying, "Did you see it?" It was Abbey and I had no clue what she was talking about. She told me to check my email. I did, and saw an email from our caseworker. I opened the email and saw, "Congratulations ..." I didn't bother to read anything else, I simply said, "I'm on my way," and I literally ran out of my door. I never leave my desk messy, but on this day it didn't matter. I came home and Abbey and I hurriedly opened our email. That's when our hearts were hooked and we knew that we were no longer two, but three. We were in love, and he was our son. Some may wonder how it could happen so quickly, and even I can't explain it, but can only credit it to lots of prayers and our Father's amazing grace. We literally LOVED our son from the very first second we laid eyes on him. Nothing could have stopped us for accepting our referral, because he was ours good and bad.


In the year that has passed since that wonderful day, so many things have happened. We have been physically united with our beautiful son, and each day with him creates in us more awe of the wonder of him. We call it a miracle and I know it is, it's a miracle that God made us a family.


Many people read our blog each day, and we would love to know what your first memory of Reed was and what you thought about him the first time you saw him. You may even want to include a special prayer for Reed.


And finally... A Reed Haiku

reed is my sweet son
he loves to sing, laugh, and play
we are very blessed






WE LOVE YOU REED!

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Straining to read through tears of happiness! Happy Referraliversary!

frankandhonest said...

I remember how shocked and excited I was just to see y'all, but then I quickly realized that y'all must have been there for a reason...it MUST be Reed!!! I remember just how beautiful I thought that first sweet picture was...those totally pinchable cheeks!!! I was simply overjoyed for the two of you, and I knew that the sweet baby in the picture had no idea how much love he was going to receive for the rest of his life.

Anonymous said...

We have only "met" Reed here in cyberspace...but we feel like we truly KNOW him, none-the-less! It has been a joy watching him grow up, here on the Landlife blog.

~Monica, Grant, and the Dumplings

Lindsay said...

Dear Reed,

I've been following your blog for quite a while now. I used to really enjoy the adventures of Flat Reed, and was amazed at the humour, patience and grace of your parents as they waited to be able to bring you home. Their love for you shines forth every day. You seem like a really busy, energentic little boy and I bet you keep your mom and dad really busy. Keep exploring Reed, and have a wonderful life with your mom and dad.

Unknown said...

I remember first seeing Reed on your blog and thinking to myself how BLESSED he was to have such Godly parents to rear him! It was a joy to meet him recently!

My prayer for Reed is that he comes to know the Lord at an early age and chooses to seek the Lord for the rest of his life.

Anonymous said...

I remember the day you brought the pics. to school, it was on our field trip day. As my friend and I sat in the seat across from Mrs. Land, we asked where you had been. Then, you pulled out a photo album and handed it to us and said, " These are from my trip." As we both opened it we became overjoyed, there was a picture of the most precious baby we'd ever seen. You then told us about Reed, and I could see the pure joy on your face. I'll never forget that day. I love you, Reed!

~ Lexi

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I can't believe that it's been that long already... Goodness sakes. I haven't met him yet, but I feel like I know him. I can't wait to meet him, and I am so incredibly overjoyed that he is your son. You are so blessed!!!