Custom Search

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Parenting Tips from Us: Stoppers

Before we get too much into this blog, I guess I better go ahead and tell you that Reed was EXTREMELY cute today in his church clothes. We have pictures, but they are in the camera, in the diaper bag, at Britton's grandparents house! So, you'll have to check back tomorrow to see the cutester. So, just enjoy the videos!



We guess its time that we offer some more parenting advice and this time, we're going to tell you our method for getting rid of the stopper. Some people around Tennessee call it a fooler, in Mississippi we call it a paci, but I prefer to call it a stopper.




Reed is 16 months old now, so we knew we were edging in on the time that we had to get rid of stopper. We didn't want Reed to be 3 and have a stopper still in his mouth. Anyway, on the trip to Hotlanta, we took 3 stoppers. In the course of the trip down to Georgia, Reed ultimately used all three stoppers. From that point, we only found 1 and the other two disappeared.

Yesterday, on the way home, Reed threw his stopper again and we couldn't find it. We actually decided that we would not really look for it. Therefore, we came to the end of the stopper in the Land house. Well, that is, unless Reed finds one. We're going to try to keep him away from them.

The only issue is that I am realizing that it is harder to get him to go down for a nap and to go to sleep. But, just like his transition from getting a bottle at bedtime, he'll get used to it.

So, how did you get rid of your kid's stopper?

P.S. Our friend Brandon told us that someone came to his spin class that reads our blog? His description of you let us wondering who you are? Although we're sure we know you, we're just a little puzzled as to your identity. Would you mind letting us know?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

One method is to cut a tiny piece off every day or every other day... it'll get smaller and less satisfying.

One thing that might help motivate you is look at the way his teeth come together when he puts them together (bites down) and if you see a space, you know that the paci is starting to affect the shape of his teeth and mouth.

Good luck!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I forgot to add, (and you may already be doing this) but start restricting the paci to just his crib...

Maggie said...

Neither C or P ever took one (although P sucks his thumb when he's sleepy), but I've had a lot of friends who "send them off."

For instance...one friend tied his favorite one to a helium balloon and the kid got to let it go and watch it fly away. Another said that it was another baby's turn to have the pacifier and they found a mom with a newborn at Wal-Mart and gave it to her. The other mom caught on and took it and told the girl how appreciative she was that she was letting her new baby have her pacifier.

I would give it a little more time to see if he finds something else to "self-soothe." He may, soon enough, find that he doesn't need it anymore. We've done most things like that cold turkey but that's just us. I know cold turkey doesn't work for everyone.

Unknown said...

I have enjoyed your blog but have yet to comment. You probably don't know me but my mom, Alice Nettles, knows Abbey. Anyway, my parents got rid of MY paci (or nini as I called it) by cutting it. When I brought the pieces to Mama and asked her to fix it, she said she couldn't and that was the end of my Nini!

Reed is just such a cutie and I know he can't wait to be a big brother. :-)

Jane said...

The birds ate Roger's fye, as he called it. I am not sure what my parents did with mine or Stuart's, but I definitely remember when the birds came and ate Roger's. I was 7 or 8 at the time. Good luck with this one!

Anonymous said...

Carah's fell down the toilet. No, really! But she was 3 so it was time. We had limited it to just bedtime and naptime. No problems after it was gone. Luckily she didn't ask us to go get it! YUCK!