Custom Search

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Baby Proofing



We decided to try some of your suggestions for getting Reed to quite throwing his cup. Today, when Abbey was feeding Reed his lunch, he threw his milk. She quickly picked it up and put it in the fridge. When he threw a piece of his hot dog, she took it away.



I am guessing that he got it pretty good, because when I got home from work and he woke up from his nap, he decided that he was thirsty. When he finished taking a drink he was insistent that he not only place the cup down softly, he made sure that it was sitting up properly.



There were only minor mishaps at supper with one flying green bean and a piece of chicken that Reed apparently thought still had its wings. That marked the end of his dinner and he seemed to take it pretty well.



That brings me to the next topic, baby proofing. We decided that it would be much easier to not baby proof, and just teach Reed what he could touch and what he couldn't.



Our beloved Mississippi readers will know what we mean I say we have a collection of Peter's Pottery. For those of you not from the Magnolia state, it is really pretty pottery that is not really cheap. We have a pretty extensive collection of Peter's so not moving it out of Reed's reach could be a little bit risky.



But, from the moment he started crawling, we pretty much made sure that whenever Reed was in the living room, he knew that he could not touch any of the breakables. And, for the most part, he has stayed away completely.

Sometimes, Abbey will even take on the Peter's ducks, rabbits, or frogs and let Reed pet them. He is very gentle. That being said, we're realizing that there are some limits that we need to put on him. Like, the Gail Pittman dinnerware and the Lennox Holiday China which rests in a cabinet below the countertop definitely has a baby lock on it. Also, we purchase baby locks for the garbage can cabinet which also holds our cleaning supplies.



Another baby proofing measure that I can't believe we have purchased is a leash! Yes, we decided to take the plunge and buy the boy his very own leash. Abbey showed it to him today and he LOVED it!



We are going to Atlanta next week and we thought it would be good to have when we go. We also have seen countless toddlers wandering or running aimlessly through airport terminals. Every time, we see it, we think that will totally be Reed when we take him to the airport. Thus, the leash was bought!



Of course, kid leashes have come a long way since I first remember seeing them. They really used to have a canine feel to them and now they are cute little monkey-like backpacks with the tail of the monkey being the leash part.



Has anyone else bought a leash for their kiddos?



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Until I had a toddler of my own, I thought they were awful. Now I think they are darn smart. Especially in a place like an airport, museum, beach or zoo....

Maggie said...

I've never used it, but my mother-in-law used to a lot. She was using it when Caroline was about Reed's age.

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid to be the first to post a comment! I don't have a "harness" (sounds better!) but Carah was very easy and Cate was always in a stroller. I may need to buy my own "monkey harness" when Caleb is walking!

Anonymous said...

You've met Abby right? :-) We used the leash whenever we were in crowds- like the amusement park, fair, airport, etc. People use to stare and even make comments, but that was so much better than having someone "snatch up" our beautiful baby. I think it is alot more responsible to use a leash than to just let your kid run and "keep an eye" on them. We did practice at the house, because it is easy to knock them over with just a little "tug" of the leash- so beware. :-)

Em said...

Yeah, we totally used one when we flew with Caden. It was a must have!! Caden was Reed's age at the time...I don't know what we would have done without it.

Kevin said...

You know... it sounds kinda backwards but if it didn't have the monkey, it would seem a bit demeaning. With a monkey, it looks OK. I don't know why.

Megan tosses stuff from the high chair when she's getting full. The taking things away seems to get her attention. Hope fully she makes the same connection as Reed and eases up on the throwing. I used to give her a good "no" or "no thank you" and a stern look... but she would just take the look and give it right back to me... and make it all cute in the process. Actions speak louder than words. We take the tossable items away now.

Sherry said...

Good job with the food throwing! We have no "baby proofs" in our home either (except plug covers) and from the begining Kobi was taught "OFF!" He's never really messed with anything even when he's at someone else's home b/c of that I think.

Cant say I have a leash. (Hehehe... that sounds funny) Instead I am the mother in a crowded area 2 inches from my son's face saying "Don't let go of my hand, there are crazies everywhere!" LOL! The leash sounds like a safe concept to me. Good Luck with it!!

J+Di Di said...

I have always wondered why Americans parents don't use the "leash" when I first moved here in 1990. It was so common in London and I thought that was the greatest idea!! hahaha...

My MIL bought the exact same Monkey leash for our Didi and he loves holding it as well as wearing it on his back!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFH97hVqAeY

BTW, Reed is a very cute baby!!