Custom Search

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Death of a Dandelion


So there I was, minding my own business, just brushing my teeth. I always take the time while I am brushing my teeth to look out the window into the backyard. That's when I saw it. A yellow bloom amidst the sea of beautiful green grass. Now if there is anything that I don't want in my yard, it's a dandelion! I quickly finished up my dental hygeine, grabbed my camera and went to face the enemy.

Once I was out there, I took a picture of the weed and then I quickly began taking out my fury on this horrible excuse for a flower. See its demise below.

I got rid of the only D in my yard currently and I will be on the look out for more. It wanted to make sure that its evil roots were not able to regain any ground in my yard so I took it into the woods behind the house and through it into the mound of leaves. The WEED IS DEAD!

All of this got me thinking about dandelions. Everyone can probably think of a time when they picked a dandelion for their mom when they were little. Over time, we came to a realization that the flower was really a weed and that it held very little value.

That's kind of how I think of sin. It is pretty for a little while and then we realize how bad it is. We want to get rid of it before it permeates our lives, just like we want to get rid of the dandelions before they pervade our whole yard. Inevitably, despite our greatest efforts, a dandelion might appear in our yard. Sin is the same way, but the more we keep our lives in tune with the Holy Spirit the better able we are to fight off the evil attacks. If we keep get rid of the weeds when they are small in number, they will not have the opportunity to take over our yard.

Sorry for the metaphor, but it just got me to thinking. I hope it makes you think too!

3 comments:

Linda said...

That was one healthy looking dandelion until you killed it!

The Mr. & Mrs. said...

nice job on the metaphor..don't apologize for great writing!!

Anonymous said...

I liked the version you told us at church better.
From,
Tessa