Custom Search

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Success

The subject of my devotionals this week has been success. When people on earth think of success, they often think about what their salaries are or what their houses are like. Success for for many people today is dependent upon how many titles they have or extra initials at the end of their names. Success can be counted for some in their ability to score a good deal.

The devotions this week say that success should be counted in God's way. We should strive for success in terms of heavenly rewards and not in terms of earthly rewards. I believe that when you focus on success in God that you experience success on earth. I know that God has blessed me more than I could ever have imagined. When I focus on the things of earth I am trying to accomplish some goal for myself, I don't feel the success even when I achieve it. However, when I am focused on God, I feel peace about where I am and what I am doing.

Success is a GREAT feeling, don't get me wrong. I think, though, that we often mistake success for happiness. Happiness is not a successful life, it is a life in Christ.

Think about how God has blessed your life. Do you feel successful? Do you have an amazing spouse? I do. Do you have a great job? I do. Do you have tons of money? I don't. Do you love God? I do. Do you understand that we all fail sometimes? I do.

On my desk there is a coaster that my beautiful wife gave me. On it is inscribed, "Anyone who has never made a mistake, has never tried anything." In life, we will fail but when we focus on eternal things, we're more likely to succeed. Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Kim M said...

Thanks for sharing this -- it's a good reminder. It's hard sometimes to maintain a Godly viewpoint and not become caught up in what the world deems as "successful". Satan wants us to compare ourselves to others and feel that we are lacking because we don't measure up to society's standards or 'accomplishments' of others. Falling into this trap can be depressing. Like you, all I have to do is think about the many ways in which God has blessed me and none of that other stuff matters.