Custom Search

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

One of the Best Days Ever






We have always known that our Reed was super special. You might not realize it, but we know that all of our boys are special. In fact, the other day when someone told Abbey how adorable our boys are, she quickly responded, "I know, aren't they?" How's that for humility? Well, we kind of feel like we can admire our boys too, since we actually had not part in their adoptable features! Alas, I digress.




For the past couple of years, Reed has demonstrated a spiritual sensitivity. He is very concerned with things of an eternal nature. He has been at church since the first weekend that we brought him home and we have regular "God conversations" at our house. He knows Bible stories and has had amazing Bible influence.




About a year ago, Reed started asking when he could become a Christian. He was sure that being a Christian was something that he wanted to do, but we weren't sure if he really understood what he was asking to do. We never quieted his requests, but kept talking to him whenever he would bring it up.




Last night, on our way to soccer practice, with the intensity of a bolt of lightening, Reed said "I want to be a Christian!" Abbey and I looked at each other and then I started asking him questions. I asked him if he knew what it mean to be a Christian, if he knew what a sinner was, and if he had ever sinned. He seemed to know very well what the answers were and kept saying "tell me what to do, I want to be a Christian." I pulled up my Bible app on my phone and read some verses to Reed. When I was done I asked Reed if he still wanted to be a Christian. He unapologetically said, "Yes!" I kind of have always imagined having this intimate, quiet conversation that ended with a prayer with my little guys. The loud chaos that is the LandLife Mommobile was not what I had imagined, but the Bible doesn't give a setting, it simply says "For everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." And right there amidst the chaos of our van, I walked Reed through a short prayer where my precious firstborn son asked Jesus to be his Lord and his Savior. Oh what joy that fills my soul!




We told Reed that now that he has made this decision the next step is to tell people. Reed literally screamed over the phone to his grandparents and uncle Bill, "I'm a Christian, Now!"
Last night before Reed went to bed, we got out his Bible and I underlined some of the verses we had talked about. I wrote the date on the page containing Romans 10:13 and asked Reed to write his name. I want him to remember that on September 24, 2013, he sealed his eternity in Christ Jesus.
As you can imagine we're pretty thrilled with Reed's decision.

4 comments:

RamblingMother said...

That is awesome! Congrats Reed!

Lola said...

Happy tears!

Unknown said...

Love this!

Nancy Lewis said...

You don't know me, but I am thrilled for your son and for your family. This decision is all that matters in this world. Such excitement; I felt it in your blog. May God richly bless your son's walk with Jesus. I just imagine it will be joy to watch. (I am Cheryl Lewis's sister-in-law.)