Custom Search

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Reed-A-Versary - 7 Years



 This guy. I remember parts of the trip vividly and some of them seem like distant memories. I remember the nerves. How would we be as parents? Were we really ready for this? How would he react to us? Are we really do this? I remember those thoughts racing through my head, but didn't fear them because I knew one thing for sure. The boy in the picture that I had held onto for so long of that little boy in Taiwan had my heart. I loved him. I love him so much.

All of the waiting. All of the tears. All of the paperwork. It all just melted when they put him in our arms. Our joy overflowed from our hearts and out our eyes. It was one of the greatest moments of my life. We became parents. Abbey was a "mama" and I was a "daddy." It was surreal and real at the same time.
 Flash forward seven years and it's hard to remember a time when Reed wasn't a part of our life. How is it possible that this kid isn't of our own flesh? He's so much like both of us. He loves us dearly and our love for him is incomprehensible. He is our son. He has been from the beginning.
 Dear Reed,

You make me so proud to be your dad. Your witty sense of humor and your adult sounding phrases make me laugh daily. Your fierce loyalty to your brothers and the gentle (and sometimes not so gentle) ways of letting them know you love them make me proud. You are a great big brother and brothers look up to you. You are fast. You hurry at everything ready to make it to the next thing. I understand. I'm the same way. Slow down, my son. Slow down. You are growing up too quickly and I want to hold you longer. I want you to still call me "Daddy" and not "Dad". I want you to sit in my lap and beam with excitement when I come home from work. Being your dad is one of my greatest joys. I love you, buddy.

Love, Dad(dy)

No comments: